Monday, June 8, 2015

Hello Everyone

It has been almost a year since I updated this blog so here we go.  Since I posted last I had finished the Avionics Technician Handbook Volume One sales have been slow but steady. The feedback has been mostly positive and some feedback from students like the Avionic test equipment sections.  I have been compiling information for Volume Two. Some negative comments have been about the seemingly simplistic language style I write in. Someone said to me that they felt like they are in first grade again. I tried to take all of the feedback and make corrections as they see but I am a busy instructor and not a professional academic. But I take all of the comments and would rather take some criticism from a few and provide a path for new avionics technicians.  But don't worry, I do read and consider advice and tips to make the books better for everyone. 


I normally write books during time I am teaching the course so I can get immediate feedback during the courses but due to Instructor shortages and issue with the FAA, our school was not allowed to teach the Avionics courses in conjunction with the FAR 147. So since our school has made 147 a priority I have been almost exclusively teaching A&P and have not been able to compile the second volume for the Avionics Technician Handbook.  I have been complaining profusely to my bosses to let me teach the class I spent years developing. But to date I have only taught one avionics course and I am not sure when I can run live classes again but I may begin using On-Line courses to help get the training to new students. Stayed tuned here for more updates. 

I have been working on the rewrite of the Beyond the Glass book which led to a completely new book. This next incarnation is much more complete and I think better written.  In addition to all aspects of modern glass displays which include, communication busses, LCD panels and touch screens, and synthetic vision and other visual enhancement systems. The last two chapters will be the how to modify and install the new displays and other supporting equiepment. This will include laying out the panel, connecting the wringing and connectors and performing system verification test. The last chapter is going to be coordinated with help from my friend in the FAA and will include as up to date instructions about the paperwork. With the ADS-B mandate coming in 5 years, and only 15% of the fleet being currently in compliance, there will be a need to instruct technicians about the regulatory requirements for airworthiness. My plan is to take the second half of the summer off and work full time to complete this very important book.

Summer Graduation

I am also taking the second half off from teaching to attend to a very important event. My son, Sam who for the last 2 years, has been attending the Avionics and Airframe & Powerplant courses at Pima Community College.  Sam, in addition to obtaining his private pilot with glider rating last year, he passed the NCATT AET certification and then last spring earned his FAA Mechanics Certificate for Airframe.  This August he will graduate from the Powerplant program. This make Sam the fourth generation of Bessette’s to have both his mechanics and pilots Certificates.  His great grandfather has passed several years ago but his grandfather will come to Tucson to present a speech to all of the graduating technicians. So after being at Pima for two years, Sam will be starting again at Pima CC engineering in preparation for transfer to University of Arizona Engineering.  This year my daughter also starts college and we are both very proud of both our kids.


When the new book is finished I will get back on this blog and try to do a better job of updating all of you. 

No comments: